Today as I sat in Sacrament Meeting trying to keep the twins asleep, Beckley quietly entertained and Adrian awake... I thought of when I had been asked to speak on Mother's day. It was 4 years ago, I was single and not yet a mom. My life was certainly different then.
As I left church, I noticed that friend had texted me saying that he had been thinking of when I spoke on Mother's Day and how much he enjoyed my talk.
So, I figured I should probably re-read that talk today. (I included the talk below... it is LONG though...)
Although I am now a mom, I am still working to develop that "mother heart"... I'm thinking it will be a forever process...
I am now, as I was then, so grateful for the divine gift and mission of motherhood.
As I left church, I noticed that friend had texted me saying that he had been thinking of when I spoke on Mother's Day and how much he enjoyed my talk.
So, I figured I should probably re-read that talk today. (I included the talk below... it is LONG though...)
Although I am now a mom, I am still working to develop that "mother heart"... I'm thinking it will be a forever process...
I am now, as I was then, so grateful for the divine gift and mission of motherhood.
Mother Heart
5.11.08 Mother’s Day
-Caisa Monahan
I take after my mom in a lot of ways. I look just like her. I have her to
blame for my migraines and shopping habit. And, I would like to think that I am half as fun and happy
to be around as she is. I could go
on and on, which in and of it self, is proof that I am my mother’s daughter. Last Saturday I told Adrian that although
I am a lot like my mom there is one thing that I really wish we had in
common. That I really wish I had
my mom’s amazing ability and love of speaking. Well the very next day Brother Ball asked me to speak on
Mother’s Day. The Lord is very
aware of my weaknesses and desires and I welcome the opportunity, and any
opportunity, to become more like my mom.
The first thing I did after Brother Ball
asked me to speak was text my mom to tell her. I guess texting is another thing I have in common with my
mom. My text said: “I have to
speak on mother’s day.” My mom’s
response was a “lucky you” with a smiley face. As I mentioned, speaking is not something that is easy for
me. Maybe I should not admit this,
but since the days in primary when she whispered into my ear what to say, my
mom has always helped to some degree write my talks. However, I immediately realized that for the first time in
my life I didn’t feel like I could ask my mom for help with my talk. I just didn’t feel right asking my mom
to help me with a talk about her.
I should have known that I didn’t need to ask my mom for her help. Within 24 hours I received an email
from my mom offering help for my talk.
She included the following quote by Julie Beck:
"A woman with a mother heart has a testimony of the
restored gospel, and she teaches the principles of the gospel without
equivocation. She is keeping sacred covenants made in holy temples. Her talents
and skills are shared unselfishly. She gains as much education as her
circumstances will allow, improving her mind and spirit with the desire to
teach what she learns to the generations who follow her."
My
mom then went on to say:
Hi~I love this term "mother heart". I don't
know if you have started preparing for your talk but I thought of this when you
said you had the wonderful opportunity to speak.(smiley face) I think one
of the real purposes of women here on earth is to gain or find or search
for and become a woman with a "mother heart. It is a gift to all
women, in all circumstances from our Heavenly Father so that we can better
understand and try to be like our Heavenly Mother. Good
luck I know you have a busy week. Love~Mom
My mom was, of course, aware of my fears,
weaknesses and the details of my life and was there to help me. In her simple email this week… and the
numerous phone calls that followed throughout the week asking if I needed help
with my talk… My mom shared her talents and skills with me unselfishly. She has a testimony of the gospel and
taught me the principles of the gospel.
She demonstrated her “mother heart” to me this week as she has done my
entire life.
I, too, love this term “mother
heart.” Sister Beck said in this
same talk (“Mother Heart”) that
“Every girl and woman who makes and keeps
sacred covenants can have a mother heart.
There is not limit to what a woman with a mother heart can accomplish…
By developing a mother heart, each girl and woman prepares for her divine,
eternal mission of motherhood.”
I am so grateful and honored to have
this gift and eternal mission. I
hope that I may continually strive to develop a “mother heart” regardless of my
circumstances in life.
In the recent General Conference, Sister
Tanner said:
“I take delight in my role as nurturer,
which allows me to express my deepest identity as a woman. I never fail to be struck by the way
that women, young women, and even little girls seem to have an instinctive
interest and ability in nurturing… To nurture is to teach, to foster
development, to promote growth, to feed, and to nourish. Who would not shout for joy at being
given such a blessed role?”
I not only shout for joy for being given
such a blessed role, but also for those in my life who have played such a
role. I am thankful for my mom,
and many others, who have developed a “mother heart” and thus have nurtured
me. I think it is important for us
all to strive to develop a “mother heart” and thus help and nurture those
around us.
I am sure we can all think of various
people who have shared and nurtured us with their “mother hearts” through out
our lives. This week as I thought
about my gift and mission to have a “mother heart”, there were many things that
came to mind that I could learn from those “mother hearts” who have nurtured my
life. 2 things in particular came to my mind...
First, is my mom’s “spiritual coolness.” My brother’s senior year in high school
he was asked to speak at stake conference. The topic the stake president gave him was “How learning the
gospel at my home has taught me to be spiritually cool.” I remember my brother calling me after
hearing this topic and asking “what is “spiritually cool””? We both laughed about it for a minute,
but it didn’t take us long to come to the conclusion that my mom is spiritually
cool. As my brother said in that
talk:
“I’ve never had a problem
that wouldn’t be solved quickly and efficiently if I had listened to my mother’s
advice. She will always provide me
and my sisters with a scripture and then she will explain it in such real
terms. She has a funny but
effective way of looking at things.”
For those of you who know my mom, you know
exactly what he means. My mom has
an amazing ability to apply the gospel to life. Whenever I call with her a problem… whether it be about
work, or a boy, or a race in college… she always says something like “first go
get some chocolate. Everything
seems better after some chocolate.” Or “first go buy a new outfit. That will
make you happier.” Then she
immediately has a scripture or gospel principle that solves my problem or
brings me peace in the situation. She
is constantly learning and studying the gospel and then looking for ways to
apply the gospel to life. She is
thus able to constantly teach those around her the gospel in a fun and real
way. Many of my friends and my
sibling’s friends turn to my mom for advice for this reason.
I had the wonderful opportunity to grow up
with my mom in the church. My mom
converted right before she and my dad got married. Her first time in primary was as Primary President while I
was in primary. When I was in
Young Women’s, it was her first time in Young Women’s as the YW President. She went to Seminary for the first time
as the Seminary Teacher while I was in seminary. She was Relief Society President when I joined Relief
Society. We literally grew up in
the church together. She did not
just teach me the various values and principles of the gospel, rather I watched
as she learned and gained a testimony of the gospel and then demonstrated that
to me. In all of her various
callings and as she teaches those her around she does so with that “spiritual
coolness.” She teaches the gospel
in a very fun and effective way.
Her current calling is “Mrs. Friendly” in Primary. She goes into Primary and teaches the
kids different lessons from the Friend magazine and tries to get them excited
to read it. She of course does
this in a fun way. As she enters
the Primary room she transitions into “Mrs. Friendly”… putting on a bright
colorful sign that says her name and big rhinestone glasses. The kids love it. In honor of my mom today and her
“spiritual coolness”, Mrs Friendly will help me give me the some of my talk
today.
(Kathleen H.
Hughes in a talk from the Ensign Nov.2006 says "Our children need to hear
us 'talk of Christ,...rejoice in Christ, {and} preach of Christ (2Nephi 25:26)
so that they may know to what source they can look for the peace that 'passeth
all understanding' (Philippians 4:7)) I would hope that as I teach the gospel to those around me,
whether that be my nonmembers friends, fellow ward members, or my family, I
hope that I may do so with “spiritual coolness.” I hope that I may constantly learn and study, so that I
might be able to apply the gospel to life, and do so in a fun way. I know that “spiritual coolness” will
help me to develop my mother heart and thus I will be able to nurture those around
me.
The second thing
that I recognized in those “mother hearts” that have nurtured my life and that
I would like to emulate is the power of praying for one another. I know that I probably do not
realize how many times my mother has said a prayer in my behalf. Nor can I comprehend how powerful
these prayers have been in my life.”
But, I do know that I am a better person
because of the prayers of my mother.
And, I know that I am a better person because of many people in my life
who have developed “mother’s hearts” and have prayed in my behalf.
My mom is also a fantastic example of
this. I will try to make this long
story short… but, I am my mother’s daughter and it is completely impossible for
my mom to make any story short.
My brother’s best friend and mission
companion and sort of my mom’s second son got married a couple days before this
past Thanksgiving. 2 weeks later
he was diagnosed with bone cancer.
He is 22 and his wife is 20.
I will never forget the phone calls from my brother and my mom when they
heard that Hedlund was sick. He
has been getting chemo every week since then. My mom decided that if Hedlund was going to chemo every week
that she could go to the temple every week on his behalf.
A few weeks ago as she sat in the temple
and prayed for Hedlund she got what she calls a “crazy idea” that she needed to
get Elder Bednar to visit Hedlund.
My brother and Hedlund worship Elder Bednar. On their mission they memorized his talks and it has always
been their dream to meet him. My
mom prayed that she would be able to make this crazy idea happen.
She emailed a family friend that works for
the church and told him about Hedlund and how he loved Elder Bednar. The family friend said that when he got
the email his heart sunk because he so wanted to be able to help my mom, but
that he knew that he would probably not be able to. He replied to my mom and said that he had a meeting that
week that Bednar might attend and that if he had the opportunity to talk to him
he would try to mention Hedlund.
My mom continued to pray that it would happen. As our family friend entered that meeting he had my mom’s
email in his pocket but did not at all think he would have the courage or dare
to ask such a thing of Bednar.
Elder Bednar walked into the room came right up to our family friend and
said “Hello. Is there anything I
can do for you?” The friend
reached into his pocket and pulled out the email. He handed it to Bednar and told him a little about
Hedlund. Elder Bednar immediately
said “I’d love to go visit him”.
Hours before Hedlund went into a surgery
to remove the cancer from his leg, he was contacted by Elder Bednar and told
that he would get to visit with him later that week. His wife said that as they took Hedlund, who had been
dreading the surgery, into the operating room he had the biggest smile she had
ever seen on his face. Within a
week of my mom’s prayer in the temple, Elder Bednar, along with my brother,
gave Hedlund and his wife blessings.
A few days after that Hedlund received news from his doctor that the
cancer in his leg was gone and that the cancer in his lungs was improving. Hedlund called my mom and told her that
“Elder Bednar was the highlight of his cancer.” The prayers of someone with a “mother’s heart” are
miraculous. There is no limit to
what a woman with a mother heart can accomplish.
I am so grateful for those “mothers
hearts” that are mindful of those in need of prayers. I worry that because I do not have kids of my own that I
spend too much time praying for myself and not enough time for praying for
others. As it reads in Alma 34: 27
“Let your hearts be full, drawn out in prayer unto him continually for your
welfare and also for the welfare of those around you.” I hope that I may pray
more for others and that in doing so I may nurture their lives and develop my
“mother heart.”
I am so
grateful for those in my life who have developed a “mother heart” and thus
nurtured me. I am honored and
shout for joy to have this gift and eternal mission. I know that being “spiritually cool” as I strive to teach
and share the gospel and praying for others are just 2 ways that I can work to
develop my “mother heart” right now.
I hope that I may continually strive to develop a
“mother heart” regardless of my circumstances in life.
Elder Hinckley said that “God planted
within women something divine. The
something is a gift and the gifts of motherhood.” Although I am not yet a mom I
hope that I may always recognize and be grateful for this divine gift. Sheri Dew said in her talk entitled Are
We Not All Mothers?:
“For reasons known to the Lord, some women
are required to wait to have children.
This delay is not easy for any righteous woman. But the Lord’s timetable for each of us
does not negate our nature. Some
of us then, must simply find other ways to mother. And all around us are those who need to be loved and led.”
In preparing
for this talk I came across a paper I wrote for a leadership class my senior
year at BYU. In the paper I wrote:
“When I think of my dream role as a leader
in the future, I do not see—Caisa the boss, Caisa the President, Caisa the
Primary teacher, or Caisa the coach. Although I may assume some of those
leadership roles, my dream role is that of—Caisa the mom.”
Although, this
is literally still a dream role, I know that I can have a “mother heart” and
help nurture and love those around me right now and throughout my life. I would like to share a personal
experience that reiterated this to me.
My brother is 7
years younger than me but we have always been super close. I love that
kid. Years ago I started playing this "show me on your face" game with him. I will say "show me on
your face how excited you are" or "show me on
your face how tired/hungry/whatever you are."
When Drew left on his mission, I knew that if I didn't get married
while he was gone that he would beat me to it. He had dated Joy before
his mission and hoped to marry her when he returned. I worried that it
might be a difficult day to see my little brother get married before
me. I guess it was just something I wanted so badly for
myself. Drew returned from his mission and proposed to Joy. Life was
so busy and I so adore Joy that I didn't really even have time to worry about
that day as it approached. However, the morning of the wedding, I
woke up early to get in a run before the ceremony. As I ran, I got a
little teary thinking that "the day" had come.
Later that
morning, I made sure to get the seat right next to my mom in the sealing
room. I wanted to be right next to my mom. As the sealing was about to begin, all of sudden, I realized
that of all the moments I wanted to be sure I saw how Drew
felt on his face, this was the moment. I looked to
my mom and told her this and she immediately asked what side Drew would be
kneeling on and then created somewhat of a commotion as she helped me find spot
that would give me the perfect view of my brother’s face. As I sat there
in the sealing room, I was able to see how Drew felt on
his face. I saw how much he loved Joy, how happy
he was, and how excited he was to spend eternity with her.
What I did not
realize was that in moving to the other side of the room, I was also able to
see my mom’s face. I saw how
she felt on her face. I saw on her
face “a woman with a mother heart who had a testimony of the restored gospel,
and taught the principles of the gospel without equivocation. A woman who kept sacred covenants made
in holy temples. I saw a woman who
shared her talents unselfishly. A
woman who had a desire to teach what she learns to the generations who follow
her.”
As I sat in the
temple that day, I saw on my mom’s face and felt in my
heart, more peace, hope, and faith than I ever have in my life. I
knew that I had a divine gift and purpose on this earth to become a woman with
a “mother heart”. A moment that I
so feared might be difficult and try my faith did just the opposite. That
is a moment I will remember and cherish always.
As I mentioned,
because I am my mother’s daughter I get migraines just like her. I had a busy week and so I ended up
being out all day yesterday with a migraine… therefore, I was working on this
talk late last until early this morning.
My mom of course called numerous times to check on me. I emailed her my talk early this
morning to read and because I was worried that I had not included enough
scriptures. My mom wrote back:
It is FABULOUS. Who is that woman??????????????????
You have quoted Pres. Hinckley...that is scripture. Buy a new outfit (which luckily, I had already done) or eat some chocolate… say your prayers and go to bed.
Thanks for the wonderful words. I love you~Mom
I love my
mom. I am so grateful for this
gospel and for the divine gift and mission of motherhood. I am so grateful for my amazing parents
and the love that they continually show me. I often think that I am accomplished and confident because
of my dad, but I am me because of my mom.
I love them both.
2 comments:
Oh my goodness! I LOVE This post!! I want to meet your "spiritually cool" mom someday!! How blessed you are to have her and how blessed she is to have a daughter who notices who she is and wants to emulate her. If my children can even see a little tiny bit of these qualities in me one day...I will know I did a decent job. :)
That talk was beautiful!
Happy Mother's Day!!
Caisa! Thank you, thank you, thank you for this. I am teary right now. Mothers day (and a lot of holidays) get a little lost over here. We didn't have a church mothers day, we had a little fun breakfast and dinner yesterday, but really I didn't take the time to reflect on mothers or my role as one. In fact, this morning I was grumpy about a messy house and my feelings of inadequacy as a mother. Although instill feel inadequate- your talk gave me hope and perspective and renewed energy. Thank you! It's a beautiful talk from a beautiful mom (yourself!), happy mothers day!
Post a Comment